annabel karmel's baby-led weaning recipes
krispie chicken nuggets
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Makes: 2-3 portions
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
45g / 1½oz Rice Krispies
1 tablespoon finely grated mature Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon milk
4 tablespoons plain flour
200g / 7oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1.5cm / ½ in cubes
Dips, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
2. Place half the oil in the bowl of a food processor with the Rice Krispies and grated cheeses and blitz to evenly combine (you may need to stop and scrape the mixture down from the sides of the bowl a couple of times). Alternatively, crush them in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Transfer the Krispie mixture to a wide, shallow bowl or a large plate.
3. Whisk the egg in a small bowl with the milk and mix the flour with a little salt and pepper (if using) and spread it out on a large plate. Grease a baking sheet with the remaining oil.
4. Toss the chicken cubes in the flour, dip them in the egg, then coat them in the Krispie coating. Lay them on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through and crispy, turning them over halfway.
5. Serve immediately, with dips if you wish (mayonnaise, ketchup).
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Makes: 20 mini burgers
- Suitable for freezing
75g / 3oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 small red onion, chopped
100g / 4oz peeled and grated carrot
50g / 2oz peeled, cored and grated apple
250g / 9oz lean minced beef
1 small garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
25g / 1oz grated Parmesan cheese
Canapé-style mini burger rolls (optional)
Carrot sticks, halved cherry tomatoes and tomato ketchup, to serve
1. Place the breadcrumbs in the bowl of a food processor with the onion, carrot, apple, minced beef, garlic, thyme and Parmesan and blitz until finely chopped.
2. Transfer the burger mixture to a bowl and use your hands to shape it into 20 mini burgers.
3. Preheat the grill to high.
4. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease the foil.
5. Place the burgers on the baking sheet and place under the grill for 5 minutes. Turn over and grill for a further 3–5 minutes until lightly golden and cooked through.
6. Serve in mini burger rolls, if you wish, with carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes and ketchup.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Makes: 20 small fritters
198g / 7oz tin sweetcorn, drained
100g / 4oz wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
4 spring onions, roughly chopped
Handful of basil, chopped
10 cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
100g /4oz grated halloumi cheese
Sunflower oil for frying
1. Blend 100 g/4 oz of the sweetcorn in the bowl of a food processor, or in a mixing bowl with a stick blender, until finely chopped.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and eggs in a bowl. Whisk in the sweet chilli sauce and finely chopped sweetcorn. Add the remaining ingredients including the remaining whole, unblended sweetcorn kernels. Season to taste (if using).
3. Heat a little oil in a frying pan. When hot, fry heaped tablespoonfuls of the fritter mixture for 1–2 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. Transfer to kitchen paper.